Saturday, February 28, 2015

How do you repair a mechanical watch?

My father left me a mechanical timepiece - one he wore all his life and was found in my mum's drawers some time back. It is a Rotary. And until recently, I had wanted to find someone I could trust to have it restored and Sean came to the rescue.

Sean is the brand owner of MoVas watches and I had approached him to see if the watch was still serviceable. First issue Sean encountered was opening the case back. No matter what tools he used, the case back could not be opened? Normally, one would abandon the plan but not Sean. He fabricated a tool to open the case - such is his dedication.
 photo RotaryRework01_zpscad010c4.jpg
 photo RotaryRework02_zps41c9f3d7.jpg

This is a picture of the special tool Sean made just to be able to remove the case back.
 photo RotaryRework08_zpsd58444dd.jpg

And the result?
 photo RotaryRework09_zps3b720270.jpg

And the dial and plexi glass...
 photo RotaryRework05_zps57e70dc0.jpg

Old unserviced movement...
 photo RotaryRework07_zps94476f32.jpg
 photo RotaryRework10_zpsae362f77.jpg
 photo RotaryRework11_zpsd8e75e05.jpg

Unbelievably clean. Sean had it cleaned and regulated and then had it put back again. Sean had tried to clean the dial but I wanted it to be the same condition so it was left untouched. And the final product?
 photo RotaryRework13_zpsb8cb42a3.jpg

What a nice present from Sean - fully cleaned movement and working in good condition too.
 photo RotaryRework14_zps8123c7b7.jpg

And the case back, cleaned and nicely polished. Next thing I need to do is to find a "correct" bracelet as the one my father had was not the original bracelet.

Many thanks again to Sean for a job well done!

No comments:

Post a Comment